Monday, December 20, 2004 · posted at 5:43 AM
Prochaskan behavior. When I was in New York, someone asked me how I was liking it, why didn't I move out here, yada yada. To which I automatically replied "no money" and "it's cold." After the words left my mouth, I realized neither reason was true at all.

Cost of living, no doubt is expensive, but I'm prepared to (1) take a job that puts my expert copying and faxing skills to use or (2) dig into my grad school/wedding fund (my family has a "be smart or marry smartly" policy, but neither is looking terribly promising for me right now).

New York winters are chilly - but I've woken up to ice on my windshields in San Diego plus I have a whole arsenal of Gap, Inc. coats to put to the test. And if worse comes to worse, there's always the ever present warmth of the NY subways. Mmmmm.

I remember Ameer talking before about the whole moving process - how you have to make the decision and then take active steps (such as squirrel away money, tell your boss, find living arrangemens, etc.) to attain it. This is the difference between a pipe dream (random "I wish" musings) and a goal.

In public health, there's a theory that behavior change occurs in stages (Transtheoretical Model).
Precontemplation is the stage at which there is no intention to change behavior in the foreseeable future. Many individuals in this stage are unaware or underaware of their problems.

Contemplation is the stage in which people are aware that a problem exists and are seriously thinking about overcoming it but have not yet made a commitment to take action.

Preparation is a stage that combines intention and behavioral criteria. Individuals in this stage are intending to take action in the next month and have unsuccessfully taken action in the past year.

Action is the stage in which individuals modify their behavior, experiences, or environment in order to overcome their problems. Action involves the most overt behavioral changes and requires considerable commitment of time and energy.

Maintenance is the stage in which people work to prevent relapse and consolidate the gains attained during action. For addictive behaviors this stage extends from six months to an indeterminate period past the initial action.
According to the rubric, I'm in the preparation phase (except substitute "next month" for "next 6 months"). I've contemplated whether my life in San Diego has grown stagnant (yes). I've decided that a change of scenery is necessary (East Coast). I've started preparing for the relocation (amassing peacoats, quitting my job, blogging about my decision).

So does entering one stage automatically mean you will progress to the next? Ask me again in a year. I really can't wait to see what the city looks like when it snows.

Recent Posts
The biggest deal there is. The great "Can I or Ca...

Question from Trivial Pursuit: What famous athlet...

In the cold December rain. I almost bought galo...

Flying the not-so-friendly skies. Traveling Delta ...

That's why I couldn't be happier No, I couldn't be...

Novels, in the proper sense of the word, are not w...

Batmobile lost a wheel Courtesy of my ever-benevo...

I am woman, hear me roar This week, Andy was fire...

LORELAI: Do they not understand we are unapologeti...

The perfect cup. Everything in life is a strugg...


Morning news
babie goose ryan
bluemouse
daves son
dawntaught
desiree
diorama
emily
escadawg
galveric
high entropy
invisible cube
jepgato
kyellow
lilly
mhuang
mogbert
nudream
starfish + coffee
verbivore


Archives
March 2004
April 2004
May 2004
June 2004
July 2004
August 2004
September 2004
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
January 2007
March 2007
April 2007
November 2008



 
 
 all humiliation © by author