Thursday, March 04, 2004 · posted at 5:15 AM
Welcome to five years ago.

Categorization is great. I love to pigeonhole people and things. Stereotypes? Hey, they are there for a reason. Labeling and lumping make it easier for my 500 MHz processor to run in this GHz world. Big proponent of the categorization… except when it’s wrong!

In the spirit of late night craziness (nowadays this is post-10 spot), we resorted to the "let’s take online quizzes like back in the dorm days!" nostalgia. Test site in question: OkCupid!.

After 77 questions like “Who would you rather have catch you masturbating, your mother or your father?” and “Suppose you've been dating someone for a year, and they're slowly getting fat. Does this romance have long-term potential?” it spit out the results that I was “The Sonnet: Deliberate Gentle Love Dreamer.”

To give you the highlights, “Sonnets [are] conscientious people, caring & careful. You're already selfless and compassionate…”

Does anyone else find this fundamentally wrong?

A potential love match would be the male version of The Sonnet… The Loverboy aka The Tool. The Loverboy is the answer you get when filling out the quiz being moral and generic. The Loverboy basically encompasses all that I dislike about guys, the rushing to open the door, the overly concerned “You got a papercut? Poor thing let me kiss it and make it better”, the stock pageant answers such as “My hobbies are thinking deeply,” "If I had all the money, and all the time, I would end starvation" and “Guns, violence, and hate scare me.” I’m shuddering as I type.

Dissatisfied with my DGLD, I ran home and retook the test (without watchful eyes and with completely honest answers) and got “The Priss: Deliberate Brutal Love Dreamer.” Better, but still not accurate.

The “Love Dreamer” is the part that disturbs me. I am a person who answers “no” to the idea of a “one true love” and believing in “love at first sight.” Aren’t those red flag, Danger Will Robinson, markers of the romantic? Of the “Love Dreamer?” I believe in flirting, and that long distance is a no-go at this age. I’m open to someone better coming along when in a relationship. Am I idealistic for thinking sex is for people in love, and relationships should be only be pursued if going somewhere? Is it wrong to think that convention is key and reliability (not to mention geekiness) is a turn-on?

Crap. I blame all the Drew Barrymore romantic comedies that I have watched umpteenth times and swooned for a Michael Vartan.

Props to OkCupid! though for redirecting affirmatives for STD/STI to Match.com and coming up with the clever labels The Poolboy, Genghis Khunt, Maid of Honor, The False Messiah, The Hornivore and The Last Man on Earth.
_______________
Random fact of the day: poignant and pungent are one and the same… strike 137 for the public school system

Recent Posts
Public spaces as a dumping ground. I vehemently o...

In typical banshee fashion, I spaced on my origina...

I just finished my online traffic school (www.traf...


Morning news
babie goose ryan
bluemouse
daves son
dawntaught
desiree
diorama
emily
escadawg
galveric
high entropy
invisible cube
jepgato
kyellow
lilly
mhuang
mogbert
nudream
starfish + coffee
verbivore


Archives
March 2004
April 2004
May 2004
June 2004
July 2004
August 2004
September 2004
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
January 2007
March 2007
April 2007
November 2008



 
 
 all humiliation © by author