Monday, October 11, 2004 · posted at 6:03 AM
I'm convinced the ETS is out to get me.

I never though that I would have to write out another check to ETS in my life. I was right. That's what electronic registration is for.

So last month, I registered for the GRE and have consequently been spending my days slaving away memorizing list upon list of words... Okay so not really but it's a great excuse to get out of undesirable social events. "Work function? Gee, sorry that's right before my GRE... You don't want me to do horribly and have to stare at my mug everyday because I'll be stuck working here forever, do you?"

I registered and then proceeded to download and print all practice materials at my work/internship. Shhh. A few days ago, I blew off the dust and actually looked at the materials and read the directions.

The GRE is new and improved, recently moving into a "computer-adaptive" formula where your set of questions is tailored to your performance level. This basically means if you start getting questions like cat : mammal :: frog : _______ you just threw $115.00 down the drain.

I've been told that there are advantages to this kind of testing. Mainly that it can better read your performance level through this algorithm-based format, and in long tests, it can shorten testing time by detecting your proficiency, or lack there-of, in fewer questions.

First off, I don't like the idea of a "standardized test" that doesn't ask every test-taker the same questions. That to me doesn't sound like the objective standardized tests I'm used to. How can you get "norms" from a measure that doesn't use the same items?

And the way the computer GRE works is you start off with a certain score. If you answer the first questions correctly, your score is increased. If you answer the first questions incorrectly, your score is decreased and every correct answer from that point puts you in a different trajectory where a right answer is worth less points than had you answered the questions correctly to begin with. So basically you're fighting an uphill battle the rest of the way. What if you're slow to warm?!

As for the "shortening the test time" argument. I can understand wanting to shorten an 8 hour MCAT or 2 day boards... but come on... this is a 3 hour long GRE! I've watched movies longer than that!

Another thing I dislike about the new GRE is that I think it works for people who have good verbal skills and poor "quantitative" (aka. math) skills.

There's an analytical writing section on the GRE now. I completely agree with this. Well I don't completely agree with this because it's not my strong point, but it makes sense. In grad school you're likely to write a thesis and need strong analytical skills. Verbals: 1, Maths: -10.

The verbal section is 30 questions in 30 minutes (decreased from 38 questions in 30 minutes on the paper-based test). At first you think "Score, less questions in the same amount of time." Then you realize you've just lost the ability to scribble all over the passages and cross out obviously wrong answers.

Also they expect you to have naturally increased your vocabulary from 50,000 words to 70,000 words over the course of your college education. But really it depends on your major because I learned words like "chaparral" and "Piaget. Perhaps if I had joined a book club earlier that vocabulary increase might have happened. Verbals: 1, Maths: -30

The math section is now 30 questions in 45 minutes (changed from 30 questions in 30 minutes). I don't see how the move from paper to computer warrants a 15 minute time increase. Test-takers have gone from writing formulas and solving for x on paper (either the testing book, but usually scratch paper) to... writing formulas and solving for x on paper... and get 15 extra minutes for it?

While verbal questions are "choose the best answer" because you need to know the subtle differences between "pugnacious" and "irascible" (which Thesaurus.com lists as synonyms), quantitative questions have definite right and wrong answers. And if all else fails, it's multiple choice... you can plug and chug into all of the algebra questions!

Furthermore, the level of the math section? The hardest question it asks is going to be about geometry. Meaning I could have taken this portion before I even entered high school and gotten a comparable, if not better, score. I'm not saying I'm dying to see integrals, imaginary numbers and z-axes on the test... but if the majority of college degrees require some calculus, shouldn't a test for college graduates test for math skills/knowledge you acquire in college in the same way it tests for those additional 20,000 words?

One might argue that that's what the subject tests are for, that someone pursuing a graduate degree in any other subject but math will never need to know number theory. Agreed, and using that same argument, does anybody need to know the definition of a millinery besides a milliner?

The ETS wants test-takers to do well in math and provide a wealth of information to help you do so. This includes a step-by-step explanation guide to practice math sections and a 70 page free, downloadable math review section including common formulas and strategies for math questions. This could be the great leveler. This makes the score of someone who was prone to do well in math anyway a little less impressive.

And what do those who need a little bit more help in verbal get? Bupkis. Instead I'm supposed to shell out $40-50 for a Princeton Review or Kaplan book that has the "hit list" of words used on the GRE... which may or may not actually appear on there.

Total Score: Verbals: 10, Maths: -100

Recent Posts
You probably think this song is about you. This w...

True North You know that point in your life when ...

Flummoxed I just can't get enough of the little b...

In the future the appropriate answer is "Yes, sir,...

Mechanical failure. I don't know anything about t...

I never really accomplished anything - not countin...

Your sympathy will get you left behind. Two sum...

Twelve Step It Obsessions are as defined by (1), ...

I just registered for the GRE. Nerd as I am, I li...

Psychoanalyze this. While I'm no fan of the icebr...


Morning news
babie goose ryan
bluemouse
daves son
dawntaught
desiree
diorama
emily
escadawg
galveric
high entropy
invisible cube
jepgato
kyellow
lilly
mhuang
mogbert
nudream
starfish + coffee
verbivore


Archives
March 2004
April 2004
May 2004
June 2004
July 2004
August 2004
September 2004
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
January 2007
March 2007
April 2007
November 2008



 
 
 all humiliation © by author