Wednesday, November 10, 2004 · posted at 2:41 AM
Can you hear me now?

It's a big decision. It's the biggest commitment of our 20-something years.

I recently switched my cellphone carrier. No longer am I "reaching out and touching someone," but now "getting more from life." In other words, I'm one of the millions swayed by Catherine Zeta-Jones' and UPN Top Model's celebrity influences to join the legions at T-mobile. This also means that anyone with T-mobile is welcome to call me anytime but those without may be sent straight to voicemail.

Picking a cellphone service was a long and harrowing ordeal including Excel spreadsheets, internet research, surveys among friends, and shameless flirting with the AT&T sales representatives.

Obsessive, yes, but it's hard for me to make lengthy commitments – I can't even commit to a Costco size of shampoo. It's not the actual carrying out of the commitment that's so scary - I can do one thing for an extraordinarily long period of time (see job entries). The fear comes from the lack of freedom in the matter. Even though I may not fly away from my little cage, I like the door to be open.

And because a cellphone contract is the biggest commitment many of us will make this year, the relationship between cellphone and customer can be likened to other committing relationships, particularly those of a romantic variety. Thus I went about picking my new carrier in the same methodological, checklisted way one would pick a significant other.

Need. What is it that you want? Or think you need? No relationship starts without some kind of need and some kind of attempt to meet it.
Phone: Need to be accessible with the touch of a speed dial button? Need picture-taking capabilities? Need roadside assistance? Need to be able to call your pop culture afficiando friend when you have an earwig?
People: Need security? Need to feel validated? Need a #1 fan? Need to get laid?

Time. When it comes to time, you are Goldilocks and you want Baby Bear's porridge.
Phone: Is your plan giving you too little minutes? Too many minutes?
People: Is he too 24/7? Is she too leap year?

Cost. Is it worth the price? There are many ways to pay for something... what kind of investment are you willing to make?
Phone: Is your bill a reasonable price for the service you're getting? More money for more quality? Less for the chipper chicken?
People: Is the relationship draining you, emotionally, temporally or financially? Do you have a basement bargain deal?

Reliability. Can you count on the other party? You want the other party to be there for you when it.
Phone: Do you frequently have dropped calls or no signals?
People: Canceled dates, missed calls, unavailablity?

Communication. What is the quality of the talks you're awarded?
Phone: Crystal clear or static-y? Patchy or consistent? Only when important or only when superficial?
People: Different wavelengths? Different languages or dictionaries? Is his silence golden?

Friends. What do your friends think about your relationship? They can be a key selling point in starting, maintaining or ending a relationship.
Phone: Do your network provider and your friends vibe well? Do you have free calling within your network and none of your friends are in it?
People: Does your significant other and your friends vibe well? If they don't, you're setting yourself up for awkward outings or a tough choice.

Incentives. What additional perks do you get?
Phone: Free nights? Free weekends? Phone upgrades every year?
People: 40% Employee discount? Great family? 24/7 tech advice?

In likening the cell phone relationship to a real relationship, the cell phone would be the physical manifestation (the body), of the services the company provides (the personality). In switching cell phone carriers, I also had to give up my handy dandy Nokia messaging phone. Moment of silence.

It's always difficult to part with a cell phone you've grown accustomed to. I'm comfortable with my Nokia. I liked the volume control, the tones, the shape, its flip messaging capabilities... Finding my phone in my purse was never a problem because of its size and the 4.3 oz weight meant I'd always know when it was on me.

Karen already bore the brunt of the "This Samsung is too light, the address book doesn't make sense, wah wah" rant so I'll spare the remaining two readers. Sure the new phone has additional features, but more doesn't necessarily imply better. That's like a new boyfriend saying "Guess what – I have an 11th toe!" "I hope you like back hair…"

In both phone and people relationships, when you're no longer happy, you take your business elsewhere. This comes in the form of the "we need to talk" conversation. Sometimes there will be a last ditch attempt to hold on, such as, "I'll change!" "How would you like evenings starting at 7pm?" Usually this kind of negotiaion comes too late … because a call to customer service and "we need to talk" never means that so much as "I've made a decision and need to tell you something."

Regardless of whether you choose Sprint or Verizon, the captain of the football team or the president of the comic book club, you usually, at some point, attain that good ole comfort factor. You know when to curtail a conversation because you're approaching the "no service" zone down the hill. You know what time of the month to avoid making any kind of comment because they are all interpreted as inflammatory. You get too lazy at the prospect of another excel-powered search and think, "good enough." And it is rather comforting, to always know what you're getting... even if it's not exactly what you want.

Recent Posts
From a strictly economic perspective, the market f...

Anyanka: You trusting fool! How do you know the o...

Free Pizza and Town Hall Meeting Fridays Cumulus ...

See Lisa, instead of one big-shot controlling all ...

Exothermic A chemical reaction between two substa...

My Felicity season 3 dvds came today. I'm burstin...

All neurons that will ever be present are present ...

Old school My freshman year of high school I had ...

Expiration date Today I told my boss wished to te...

I'm convinced the ETS is out to get me. I never t...


Morning news
babie goose ryan
bluemouse
daves son
dawntaught
desiree
diorama
emily
escadawg
galveric
high entropy
invisible cube
jepgato
kyellow
lilly
mhuang
mogbert
nudream
starfish + coffee
verbivore


Archives
March 2004
April 2004
May 2004
June 2004
July 2004
August 2004
September 2004
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
January 2007
March 2007
April 2007
November 2008



 
 
 all humiliation © by author