Wednesday, March 02, 2005 · posted at 3:13 AM
gambling makes fun

Round 3 question: What is a surefire way to liven up a dull party?

Jessica Shaw: My mother buzzed in first and...speak up, Mom!...say something...I'm begging you...ANYTHING! But she blanked.

Dan Snierson: My mom swooped in and said alcohol. Wait a second — is my mom cool? And we were on a roll. . .until Jennifer uttered the word strip. I was so bummed — or was it embarrassed? — but somehow, it was up there on the board! ''I'm going to your parties,'' cracked [Richard] Karn. In a million years, I never thought I'd witness the Tool Time sidekick hitting on my little sister.

JS: We went into huddle mode and Danny came up with another winner: Tell jokes! We knew we'd steal... Here's where my memories go slo-mo and the Platoon soundtrack kicks in. Our team had agreed on jokes for the steal, but at the last second, [my boyfriend who was pretending to be my fiance] Steve whispered drugs. Maybe it was my guilt for dragging him into this mess. Maybe it was because I looked at the board and saw exotic dancer and alcohol. But I chose love over logic and proudly exclaimed, drugs!The audience went silent. Karn's face went white. The answer was tell jokes. Our fake engagement was off.

      ~ EW writers Jessica Shaw and Dan Snierson on their experience on the gameshow Family Feud


Of all the award shows, the Golden Globes are definitely my favorite. It honors both movie and television and doubles the movie awards by separating drama from comedy/musical. It's always unpredictable - from the clothes, the winners, the whereabouts of the winners (Christine Lahti's 2001 bathroom break), and the "I'd like to thank..."s (see Natalie Portman's, among others, giggly drunk acceptance speech). And of course, how can I not love a ceremony that honors oft overlooked talents such as Felicity's Keri Russell?

But this year, I was absolutely glued to the 77th Academy Awards. Not because every minute was riveting (although there were less of them this year due to the hyperspeed pacing that brought statuettes down the aisle to the winner), or the acceptance speeches were more amusing - Charlie Kaufman's "I don't want to take my time. I want to get off the stage"), or to look for the subtleties (e.g. Tim Robbins flipping the bird to Chris Rock), or to wait for the next goof (e.g. stagehands running around, mic feedback).

What made the Oscars so exciting this year? A wager.

James and Jon started up an Oscar pool. Five bucks buys you in and the pot goes to the person with the most correct award wins, meaning it'd be advantageous to guess a winner for all 24 categories - even the ones you aren't even sure what they mean (e.g. sound mixing). I don't know much about this life, but if there's one thing my years of pop culture study has taught me, it's how the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences votes.

There's something a little bit wrong about cheering during the Oscars, especially if your "wahoo"-ing and "aww yeah!"-ing is uttered during a speech like Robert Richardson's dedication to his ailing mother. The kind of raucous yelling that was going on seems more aptly suited for watching a championship game in a peanut shell-littered sports bar... not for a black tie affair at the Kodak theater...

Still, I'd never been as engaged and emotionally invested (financially too I suppose) in categories such as "Best Documentary Short Subject" and "Best Makeup" before. Events are so much more interesting when you have something to root for - whether it's the underdog baseball team, the hometown basketball team, or the cute but talentless reality show contestant.

Though Elton John pronounced, "This was the most predictable Oscars ever!" at his post-bash fundraiser and most of the frontrunner nonimees ended up taking statuettes home, I still take pride in the fact that I came out with the most wins. Though some of the other Oscar Parlay participants (e.g. the ones who didn't win), complained about my gambling strategy (i.e. read EW's predictions and go with those I didn't have a moral objection to, such as Spider-Man 2), I say:

(1) It was never stated in the rules that you couldn't rely on outside resources. Even if there was a rule to not follow professional advice, there's no way anyone could have been completely blind to predictions. That would require having not heard about Jamie Foxx's teary Golden Globe acceptance, aka having lived in a bubble for the past year.

(2) Anytime you put money into anything, you should do some research. Whether it's in a stock portfolio, a movie ticket, a pair of shoes, or even a $5 wager, you should know what you're putting your nickels and dimes into. You can't rely on just "a feeling" or a "cool-sounding name" to win - I learned this at the racetrack last summer (though I did win $15 or so voting on my ani's name - thanks Brad!)...

(3) This...

anything + money = fun. Gamble on.

Recent Posts
I'm not only the Hair Club president, I'm also a m...

Just not that into you. Every season I pick one re...

Hair-raiser. At the risk of sounding like a Long H...

Retract those claws.Evelyn: Well, I wonder where M...

Beautifully Human. I went to the Jill Scott conce...

Author's Note: Usually I renounce Valentine's Day ...

Allow me to introduce you to my pukey face.And it ...

One night stand. Most women think it's completely...

Just say no and other taglines. Let me introduce y...

Anything you can do I can do better. I can do any...


Morning news
babie goose ryan
bluemouse
daves son
dawntaught
desiree
diorama
emily
escadawg
galveric
high entropy
invisible cube
jepgato
kyellow
lilly
mhuang
mogbert
nudream
starfish + coffee
verbivore


Archives
March 2004
April 2004
May 2004
June 2004
July 2004
August 2004
September 2004
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
January 2007
March 2007
April 2007
November 2008



 
 
 all humiliation © by author