Tuesday, May 18, 2004 · posted at 6:46 PM
Trojan Man - only 97% effective. I saw the movie Troy last night. Troy is the harbinger of the 2004 summer movie season and highly anticipated due to its star power (Brad Pitt, Orlando Bloom, Eric Bana and his ears, and Peter O’Toole), titanic and Titanic budget (initially budgeted at $150 million but due to an Achilles injury, re-creation of an ancient city, and emergency relocations escalated to $200 million), and classic storyline (based on Homer’s The Iliad). Wolfgang Petersen turns a 9 year war into a 14 day battle (163 minutes running time) for which Rotten Tomatoes gives a 53%.

Top 5 Reasons to See Troy:
  1. Brad Pitt’s nude scenes.

  2. Orlando Bloom is gorgeous.

  3. Brad Pitt is hot.

  4. The movie cost $200 million – it can use as many moviegoers as possible.

  5. Everyone else is doing it, and if peer pressure isn't a valid reason, I don't know what is.


Top 5 Reasons NOT to See Troy:
  1. Brad Pitt’s nude scenes are less risqué than your average NYPD Blue episode.

  2. Helen (Diane Kruger) reminds me of Leelee Sobrieski. The idea was that she would be more stunning as the sole blonde haired, blue eyed woman in the film... but Brad’s (I’m on a first name basis with him) blonde haired, blue eyed Achilles put her to shame as his was truly a face to launch a thousand hand-held, battery operated, motorized...ummm ships.

  3. Hector and Andromache’s son Scamandrius/Astynax is a huge baby with a seemingly disproportionate head. I thought he was going to throw down his baby blanket and get up and fight at a few points in the movie. I couldn’t help but recall Seinfeld #85, The Hamptons, with the “breathtaking baby.”

  4. The special effects – “Las Vegas” camera stops, The Matrix mid-leap pauses, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon sword noises – didn’t seem consistent with a Greek epic movie.

  5. Orlando Bloom’s Prince Paris. In an interview, Orly discussed how he had a big moral struggle with playing the prince. “It’s an intimidating thing, to make an audience understand what you’re doing – so they don’t completely loathe you.” At first I scoffed. Then I watched the movie. And though I have been reminded over and over that OB is simply an actor playing a character, I can’t get the image of a desperately terrified Bloom clinging to Bana’s leg out of my head and a little bit of my love for Orlando Bloom died after watching the movie.

Recent Posts
I had such high hopes for this blog. But the more...

Syd Hoff, the creator of classics like Danny the D...

Warning: The following blog is extremely me, me, m...

"Please tell me that sound was a rip in the space-...

On my search through our Measures drawer for the B...

In your dorm you meet many nice people. Some are ...

Aqua creatures. It’s amazing how kids have no conc...

Canonical. I had plans to blog at work. I wrote ...

A blogger was featured on the front cover of a loc...

The next generation of Ortho Tri-cyclen. My job c...


Morning news
babie goose ryan
bluemouse
daves son
dawntaught
desiree
diorama
emily
escadawg
galveric
high entropy
invisible cube
jepgato
kyellow
lilly
mhuang
mogbert
nudream
starfish + coffee
verbivore


Archives
March 2004
April 2004
May 2004
June 2004
July 2004
August 2004
September 2004
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
January 2007
March 2007
April 2007
November 2008



 
 
 all humiliation © by author