Wednesday, March 17, 2004 · posted at 4:00 AM
I’ll stop the world and melt for you.
I went home to Cerritos this weekend. It always surprises me when I go home and there’s a new tree median in the street, or Sunny Donuts has been replaced with KC Donut House, or Sea Food Palace is no longer the only Chinese grocery store in town. I get so caught up in the “Me Show” that I forget that life exists outside my tiny sphere of influence. In my mind, everything just stops when I’m not around to witness it (think tree falling in the forest). The world didn’t stop turning just because you weren’t there. My response: It didn’t?

Now that we’ve prefaced my self-centered mindset (which may be redundant if you’ve ever talked to me in person), let’s do a Simpsons-esque plot swamp where I now talk about the biggest change I noticed when I was back home (and incredibly it’s not the new cow field on the 405 near Westminster).

Borders Bookstore and things I don’t care for:
  • Borders has become increasingly disheveled (read: an OCD, AR nightmare). All the books are out of place, unalphabetized (is this a word? My spellchecker is making the little red squiggly line), upside down, or in place but in a very counterintuitive place. Swerve by Aisha Tyler? Art/Photography & Architecture/Art/Fashion. Food and Loathing? Psychology/Sex & Recovery/Recovery. I finally found Swerve on an unlabeled top shelf that doubled as a terrarium for dust bunnies. In my search of one book with an intact book jacket (even though I take that off before the title page is even revealed), I managed to stir up a very unhappy dust colony. I thought I was going to have an asthma attack – and I don’t even have asthma. I was unable to find Food and Loathing despite its hot pink cover. Maybe if I had more time, I would have located it. But time was of the essence… I was on a mission due to...


  • Live performances. I will give Borders the benefit of the doubt and assume it was Open Mic Night because there is NO way these performers were screened/auditioned and then invited based on talent. Well it might be a possibility, but that would turn me off from Cerritos Borders forever, and I’d prefer not to go down that route. There were musicians (and I use that term very loosely because I don’t feel like they were creating art) singing about the Easter Bunny not coming ‘round anymore… to the musical accompaniment of an electric keyboard. It evoked images of M&M’s and “The Princess Diaries”… shudder. There was also a poet whose spoken word idol must have been the “Be silent, be still” group from “She’s All That.” And a bad Dylan cover singer. I feel like you should not be allowed to cover a song unless you improve upon it. I don’t care to hear a mediocre version of a good song, and I would be pissed if I was the original artist and heard someone ruining my song (though this could also be an issue of my possessiveness). And the worst part? The performances were in the "Cafe" area. No walls. No containment of any kind. The sounds just permeated the entire store! There was no escaping!
I can usually spend hours at Borders, or any bookstore, but I honestly could not wait to hightail it out of there... and that is just a sad sign of the times. Oh the humanity...

Recent Posts
Workers Against Milking Mothers (WAMM) I’m all for...

Clash of the titans. Batman versus Spiderman… who...

The wave stops here. On Thursday I got to see the...

Ramblings inspired by Rolling Stone magazine #944....

Welcome to five years ago. Categorization is grea...

Public spaces as a dumping ground. I vehemently o...

In typical banshee fashion, I spaced on my origina...

I just finished my online traffic school (www.traf...


Morning news
babie goose ryan
bluemouse
daves son
dawntaught
desiree
diorama
emily
escadawg
galveric
high entropy
invisible cube
jepgato
kyellow
lilly
mhuang
mogbert
nudream
starfish + coffee
verbivore


Archives
March 2004
April 2004
May 2004
June 2004
July 2004
August 2004
September 2004
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
January 2007
March 2007
April 2007
November 2008



 
 
 all humiliation © by author